Storm Water Management
Berea is a Participant in the Ohio EPA Stormwater Protection Program
The City of Berea’s National Pollution Discharge and Elimination System (NPDES) Phase 2 program is regulated by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA). The goal of the NPDES program is to mandate the control of pollutants entering municipal storm water systems that discharge into receiving waters of the State of Ohio. Municipalities must implement an ongoing comprehensive program that addresses each of the following 6 Minimum Control Measures (MCM):
- Public Education & Outreach (MCM 1) - Distribute educational materials to the public regarding storm water discharges and ways to reduce storm water pollutants. A variety of educational material is available through Soil & Water Conservation District and Rocky River Watershed Council.
- Public Involvement & Participation (MCM 2) - Involve public groups in the participation of activities associated with storm water pollution reduction and prevention.
- Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination (MCM 3) - Develop, implement and enforce a program to detect and eliminate illicit discharges such as cross connections between the storm and sanitary collection systems, and illegal dumping of pollutants into the storm system. Berea Codified Ordinance Chapter 319 regulated illicit discharges with the City.
- Construction Site Storm Water Control (MCM 4) - Develop, implement and enforce a program to reduce storm water pollutants discharging from construction sites. City of Berea Construction Site Soil Erosion, Sediment, and other Wastes and Storm Water Runoff is regulated under Codified Ordinance Chapter 320A.
- Post Construction Storm Water Management (MCM 5) - Develop, implement and enforce a program to minimize water quality and quantity impacts after project completion. City of Berea Post Construction Water Quality Runoff is regulated under Codified Ordinance Chapter 320A.
Pollution Prevention & Good Housekeeping (MCM 6) - Develop and implement an operations & maintenance program to reduce storm water pollution from municipal operations.
Contact the City of Berea Engineering Department at 440-826-5814 with any questions regarding storm water control.